Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, July 19, 2013

Amit K. Maitra

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '70, MPA '76
University of Calcutta, India - B.Arch '69 
Case Western Reserve University - Doctorate '06

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Analysis and planning, including systems research and analysis as well.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Ralph Rapson, because of his freedom of expression in planning and architecture.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Planning the future of Minneapolis.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
Planning the City of Dreams.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
Ralph Rapson introduced me to the interdisciplinary approach to architecture, city planning, and to all disciplines that I would study and practice throughout my career in Enterprise Architecture. He was a profound impact on my overall growth.

I am married to Julie from St Louis, MO, where the famous Gateway Arch designed by Eero Saarinen stands as a monument to his expressionism and the technical marvel in concrete shells. I also live close to Washington Dulles International Airport, another famous Eero Saarinen design known for its use of catenary curves in the structural designs. My life's general philosophy was shaped, molded, and influenced by Saarinen's simple, sweeping, and arching structural curves.

John Lautner's dramatic, bold geometry and exciting use of materials serve as inspiration for my personal residence. His walls of glass place no barrier between the shelter within and the outside world.

Philip Johnson showed me how to appreciate aesthetic embrace of structural elements of a building.

I totally embrace Frank Lloyd Wright's philosophy of organic architecture which promotes harmony between human habitation and the natural world. His design approaches are so sympathetic and well integrated with its site that building, furnishings, and surroundings become part of a unified, interrelated composition. When I visit Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings, I always feel I am in the embrace of the whole environment.

Richard Neutra designed the house for a well known oncologist whom I was visiting in LA in the mid '90s. The house was surrounded and embraced by a pool that flowed through the house and then flowed out to and over the edge of the structure to reflect the serene and unobstructed beauty of the blue sky and water. Sitting inside that living room, I felt the serenity and peace.

Le Corbusier and Oscar Niemeyer inspired me with the undulating concrete curves of their projects.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I used my interdisciplinary approach to review and analyze plans for national plans and programs. See my blogs here.



No comments :

Post a Comment