Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 29, 2013

Emilie Schmitz

University of Minnesota - B.S. Arch '09

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
To be self-critical of my work and to see the beauty in simple design elements.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
My first studio professor, Dan Clark. He taught me how to take my ideas and edit them, refine them, and then present them in a clear diagrammatic way.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
In my final studio my professor, Dale Mulfinger, made us go to a site visit in Northern Minnesota. We had to rent snow shoes and hike around our sites for two days. I never realized how hard snow shoeing was! Between that, having Dale's wife's home cooking and hanging out with studio mates for two nights, that northern adventure became one of the most memorable trips of my undergrad.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
My first studio project, a row clubhouse, because I had to hand draw everything and made one of my favorite scale models completely out of basswood and rice paper. When it was picked to be put on display for an AIA convention, it was one of the proudest architecture moments of my undergrad. I still have the model, it is one the few that I've kept.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
Architect, Peter Zumthor.



No comments :

Post a Comment