Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 29, 2013

Duane E. Blanchard

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '62

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
I learned the ability to organize planning thoughts and ideas into a design solution. I also learned about the concept of space and the importance of space in building design.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Ralph Rapson was the most inspiring faculty member. He seemed to do more and accomplish more than other faculty or local architects. He also had a fine quality of humility and I was deeply disappointed that the National AIA did not give him the Gold Medal he so richly deserved.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
My favorite memory from the studio days was moving from the main engineering (Lind Hall) attic to the new architecture building.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
My thesis project was a golf course clubhouse at Braemar Golf Course in Edina. Later, HGA designed a clubhouse, before I joined the firm, that had many similarities to my thesis design.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I think the Miesian (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe) philosophy of design, "Less is More," was the most influential force on me as a student.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
The School of Architecture provided me with the training and development as a young architect so I could grow and participate in the design of significant buildings that help facilitate research, education, the manufacture of medical devices, and the medical treatment of people.



No comments :

Post a Comment