Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 29, 2013

Jeffrey T. Givens

University of Minnesota - BDA Arch '11

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Selling your ideas and in the truncated time tables of a design exercise, we often need to sell our designs and ideas to a panel of professionals who don't know us or our work. Getting good at selling your ideas and being convincing is important.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Jim Lutz and his class about sustainable design thinking and trends. Also, James Wheeler's workshop about community design opened my eyes to the world of volunteer work and the good it can do in a community.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Late nights/early mornings with new friends. Listening to "Wild Wild West" by Will Smith over and over, somehow using it as motivation to finish a drawing and I'm not sure why.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
Hand-drafting portions of the Weisman Museum expansion project for Steve Weeks' workshop.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I remember seeing the film "Citizen Architect" a couple times in school and nothing has stuck with me more, or influenced my career goals more than that film. Sam Mockbee is my largest source of inspiration in design.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
Since graduating I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity multiple times on their building projects. On one specific occasion I used what I learned about roofing to help shingle a garage in Minneapolis with Habitat. I hope to be able to continue to volunteer and use my design knowledge to help out the community.



No comments :

Post a Comment