Cdes header

College of Design

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Vaughn B. Dierks

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '96

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Practicality. It helped me focus my theoretical background from my undergraduate at Washington University into a balance of theory and applied practice for a well rounded approach.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Lee Anderson was pioneering the computer lab - a new concept for the time. That studio with Todd Rhoades and my classmates are what stand out for me. I was also very impressed with Jeff Scherer's Professional Practice course at the time, and thought he really must be the anchor of his firm. After working there I realized he was also deeply artistic - a great blend. It was Gary Johnson's studio that connected me to Wold and my eventual career path as a partner in the firm.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Late nights in the computer studio with the door shut (for security) allowed us to have a very loud stereo and play whatever we wanted. It made the long nights much more bearable.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
I really loved working on my thesis - a post graduate arts center in the former Grain Belt complex. I really received great mentoring from my advisors Lee Anderson, Tim Fuller, Garth Rockcastle. It is also great to now see the complex in use by RSP, as well as to see St. Paul moving forward on a similar concept for the former Hamms complex.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I was very influenced by both deconstruction and the architects practicing "High Tech" architecture. I really thought Coop Himmelblau did wonderful work and I especially liked Wolf Prix's lecture on Architecture according to the Rolling Stones.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I really feel that Gary Johnson's studio on educational design formed the foundations I have today for positive change within the schools. I try to practice it daily in the work we do.



No comments :

Post a Comment