Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 22, 2013

Rachael D. Spires

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '99, M.Arch '04

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Problem solving.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?

Professor Ferguson, because I loved his passion for architecture. It made me fall in love with architecture history.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
The friendships.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
We did a "folly" that was to have one large space, a few medium spaces, and many small spaces. My design was one of the neatest things I have ever created.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I was doing space planning for a project and I remember Gunter trying to get it into my head that space planning is not architecture. We argued until I got it. I love that he took the time to make me understand.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I have used my knowledge on the Board for my Home Owner's Association. I am head of the architecture committee. I also use my experience to help mentor current students.



No comments :

Post a Comment