Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, July 26, 2013

Nicole M. Pierson

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '01, M.Arch '05

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
To receive criticism well and process it fully, allowing it in even a small way to make my project better.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Tim Fuller was an amazing professor. He was thoughtful, kind, flexible, and pushed me always to think of things differently. When I was pregnant my third year, he enabled me to finish strong, bringing my two week old baby to my final review. He took seriously my desire to finish strong.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Crock pot studio.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
Folly in the Garden with Tim Fuller during my first year of graduate school.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I remember most of my influence coming from fellow students. I enjoyed learning sketching techniques and presentation styles from my peers.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I am currently involved in Rochester's CUDE (Committee on the Urban Designed Environment) which are voluntary positions appointed by the mayor. The mission of CUDE is to maintain and improve the appearance, function, and environmental quality of the community through investigation and development of appropriate policies and strategies. I have received CUDE awards for my personal property redevelopment in downtown Rochester and now volunteer my time as a member of the committee.



No comments :

Post a Comment