Cdes header

College of Design

Friday, July 26, 2013

Christopher M. Alex

University of Minnesota - B.S. Arch '04

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
The most important skill I learned was how to find my own voice in terms of design. Studio projects, along with the elective courses I took at the U, helped me develop confidence in how I saw my work as an expression of my own values and views. This was balanced by the understanding that my personal experiences and design of the built environment will help shape similar experiences by every end user. It is a powerful responsibility we have been given as architects that many people are not willing to embrace or fully understand.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Lance Lavine made the most lasting impression on me because of his passion for the study abroad experience I had in Oaxaca, his engaging nature to create dialogue about issues bigger than myself that come through in architecture, and his ability to keep me motivated to never miss the beauty in the most modest forms of design.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
My favorite memory of studio days is undoubtedly one of the most unique situations you could find yourself in the night before a deadline. We were informed in Oaxaca that once the building was closed for the night (around 9pm) we would need to stay until the building was re-opened in the morning (around 7am). It was a long night of drawing, hot glue guns, and bonding that I will never forget.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
One memorable design project I worked on while at the School of Architecture was a housing project that was a small portion of the overall urban planning scheme the studio had developed for the downtown St. Paul area near the Xcel Energy Center. This was the first time I worked on such a large scale before focusing on my own project as a piece of the larger urban fabric. It became an invaluable experience in how to zoom out and collaborate with others in a team setting while considering the complexities of urban planning.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
The work of Luis Barragan grabbed me during my sophomore year and it became a guiding light for how I saw much of my work through school and into my career. I found how simple forms, shapes, and spaces can be combined to create dramatic experiences with color and movement I hadn't considered before. It was a huge honor to be able to see two of his projects while studying in Oaxaca my junior year.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I think the biggest way my education has positively impacted my career, and those working around me, is the ability to have productive dialogue about how we coordinate and execute the design intent of the project. Throughout my design education I was challenged to develop the communication skills necessary to be a strong advocate for my design direction and without the ability to work with non-architects and clearly define that vision, no project could be successful.



No comments :

Post a Comment