Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 15, 2013

Eric J. Utne

University of Minnesota - BED '72 

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Not to be intimidated by critics.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Ralph Rapson, because he encouraged me. Tom Bender, because he taught me the Chinese concept of Feng Shui, the Japanese concept of space called "Ma," and Buddhist economics. Thomas Hodne, because he brought me to the '87 and '91 World Series. Harrison Fraker, because I think he helped me get my degree retroactively, and Leonard Parker, because he told me ten years after graduation that I was "one of the best designers the U of M ever had."

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Sixty-hour charrettes, ending with the ambulance in the loading dock outside the jury room, waiting to scoop up and whisk off students who fainted and collapsed in the middle of final presentations.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
The City-block square amusement park and natural history museum whose multi-story circulation was based on the game "Shoots & Ladders," i.e. slippery slides.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
Bucky Fuller and Tom Bender. After college, Christopher Alexander.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
When I left the School of Architecture (the last time), I wrote a declaration of independence to my fellow students and faculty exclaiming that I needed to learn more about life before I could begin to design spaces for people to live in. The best design is that which has more life in it. I believe architects should be masters of all the arts and true cultural-change agents. They should know how to bring more life into any situation.



No comments :

Post a Comment