Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 15, 2013

Timothy D. Pellowski

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '83

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Perseverance, teamwork and camaraderie, 3-D design investigation as a means to creative problem solving, and an appreciation for well-crafted and refined design presentation materials.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
R. Buckminster Fuller who spoke at the Alpha Rho Chi Convention we had hosted at the school in '79. I was amazed by his energy and intelligence. He talked about sustainability long before the term was coined.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
I'm proud to have been a part of the '81 contingent from the School of Architecture that went to the People's Republic of China. We set up a studio at Tianjin University, traveled around the country, and learned watercolor painting from a master. The Chinese architecture students and professors we met were among the most considerate and thoughtful people that I have ever met.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
I really enjoyed most of the projects I worked on in the studio. The Minnesota History Center Project in Grade 3 (1980) stands out. My studio crit, Dewey Thorbeck, gave me a lot of encouragement to follow through on the idea of building the museum as a bridge over I-95.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
I gained a deeper appreciation of Ralph Rapson's renderings and the whole "Minnesota Style" in Professor Grebner's architectural drawing class. Professor Grebner also introduced me to Christopher Alexander's Pattern Language. Although I did not agree with everything Alexander wrote, it helped me organize my thought process and develop a stronger rationale for my projects. When I came to the U of M, I thought the world revolved around Frank Lloyd Wright, but Professor Dittmar introduced me to Alvar Aalto and a number of other European and Asian architects that significantly broadened my perspective.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I remember that we often bemoaned group projects in the design studios. Yet, I feel those experiences have helped me be a much better participant in community groups and volunteer organizations. Specifically, I served a term as president of a cooperative apartment association in Washington, DC. My experiences in the school gave me the confidence to attempt building a consensus among members with divergent opinions and make many necessary improvements to an aging building.



No comments :

Post a Comment