Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 15, 2013

Theodore C. Johnson

University of Minnesota - B.A. Computer Sciences '82  

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Visual problem solving and design thinking.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
James Stageberg, because he helped me understand the qualities that make a great architect and this understanding led me to conclude I may not have all of those qualities. Shortly thereafter, I changed career directions and pursued software development and entrepreneurship, which was a successful choice for me.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
The late nights and all nighters in 2nd year design.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
I remember an early exercise in first year design where we were to design and build functional chairs out of cardboard. Most of us took a minimalist approach creating chairs that could support our weight using the least cardboard possible. My friend Bob King, however, created a huge easy chair out of heavy gauge cardboard. It was wonderfully comfortable and remained a fixture in our studio throughout the first year.



No comments :

Post a Comment