Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 29, 2013

John M. Maternoski

University of Minnesota - B.S. Arch '12

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
The design process, including collaboration with colleagues. 

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
Julia Robinson and Jim Lutz. They were just both incredible professors and introduced me to the things I am passionate about today. Julia introduced me to the social aspects of architecture which I have had the opportunity to study in greater detail since graduation. Jim really introduced me to sustainability, which led to my pursuit of additional sustainable design education in Oregon.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Model making. Minnesota has a great wood shop and lab that were great resources in model making.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
The re-design of the Cedar Lake Bike Trail with Professor Kristen Paulsen.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
Marc Swackhammer once challenged me to think in section rather than plan. Such a simple challenge, but I've thought about that in every project I've designed since and it's led to significantly better results every time.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I haven't had the chance to practice yet, but the rigorous work ethic I learned at the School of Architecture has carried over to my time in grad school and I know I've gotten numerous compliments on my design ability and work ethic, which I have been able to share with my colleagues. I attribute these skills to the education I received at Minnesota, and teaching them to my peers has definitely made a positive difference for them.



No comments :

Post a Comment