Cdes header

College of Design

Monday, July 22, 2013

Scott H. McNallan

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '99, M.Arch '03

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?

Contextual design and layering a few simple ideas.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
It is hard to choose between so many people that shaped my thinking such as Andre Pietrovski, Garth Rockcastle, Lance Necar, Greg Watson, Sharon Roe, Brad Cloepfil, Karl Drektra, David Lund, and Eric Whittington. But if I had to choose one it would be Andre Pietrovski who made it apparent that everything can be meaningful as long as you attend to it.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Studying abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico and watching the leaves fall in Aqua Azul.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
Interpretive center at the Buffalo Gap National Park for Brad Cloepfil. The project won "best of show" at the all-student exhibition.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?

Zumthor.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I feel my attentiveness to the impact my decisions have on my surrounding environments have impacted everyone from my friends in West Africa, my family, and my current clients.



No comments :

Post a Comment